Thursday, 24 September 2009

News: Let The Right One In casting; title change.


Rumours surfaced yesterday that Philip Seymour Hoffman had been cast in the new adaptation of Let The Right One In, but today that rumour has been debunked. This is almost a shame, as Hoffman would have been ideal, albeit obvious, casting for the role previously known as Hakan.

The kids, however, have been cast, it seems, with Kodi Smit McPhee cast as Oskar (now Owen) and Chloe Moretz as Eli (now Abby). I'm sure both are fine young actors, however, I have a bit of a problem with Moretz's casting. To be perfectly fair to her, I am judging this from images of her only, but she looks too young. I know that Eli/Abby is only 12...ish, but it's that '...ish' that matters. Lina Leandersson, although pretty much the same age when she filmed as Eli, had a mature look about her, which worked perfectly. They could certainly cast much worse, I'm sure, but I think this, for me, is already a case of the Swedish film looming over this new version, going 'I'm better than you!'

Regardless, that's just my personal niggle for now. Here's a biggie. Supposedly the film has been retitled (it was already said that it might be titled 'Let Me In'). The new title? Fish Head. I can't figure it out. I've read the book and I certainly do not recall fish heads playing any, never mind a significant, role. Is there some symbolism at play here that I'm missing? According to BloodyDisgusting, Production Weekly has reported that filming will begin early November, in New Mexico (more confusion: is it desert-bound now? Or does New Mexico get snowy/have lots of sound stages? Please enlighten me, someone!). My only guess regarding Fish Head is that it might be the new nickname for Owen, by his bullies (as opposed to 'piggy'), perhaps in some way to tie in with the film's somewhat watery climax. Although I very much doubt that's the case, right now, that's as good a guess that I can come up with.

This new producion very much seems to be angling for the 'we're adapting the book, not remaking the film!' line of defense, but if you ask me, the Swedish film was very faithful. It left things out, that's for sure, but those are things I don't think an American production would dare put into a film. There are things in the Swedish film I don't think an American production would dare put into a film. Of course, I'll wait and see if they nicely surprise me, but I have such low hopes for this film.

And you know what, thinking about it? I think the saddest thing about this production is that Hammer are involved. It means a part of me hopes this film makes a lot of money for them, whether it sucks or not, so that they can get back to making original films. Not that Hammer was ever especially original in its sources, mind, but Let The Right One In is not Dracula or Frankenstein, mmmkay, there's a difference. Hmmph.

No comments: