Friday, 15 January 2010

Bleed for Women in Horror!

The wonderful Soska Sisters, the ladies behind tWIStED tWINS PRODUCtiONS, are doing something very special for Women in Horror Recognition Month. They're encouraging us all to bleed. In the same way that every month should be used to recognise women in horror, something that needs to be done more often is blood donation. Pints and pints of blood are needed every day, and only the slightest percentage of the population donates.

Now, I'm not getting on my high horse here. I've never donated blood in my life. I've barely even considered it, because I'm utterly terrified of needles. I love horror films, and can watch all sorts of sickness on screen, but I have to look away whenever someone is given an injection. Think how bad I felt during the needle-pit scene in Saw II...and I still can't bring myself to even try to watch Audition.

My point (haha!) is: I'm considering it! I'm the girl who almost had a panic attack watching the virtual tour of giving blood, so this is no mean feat, I promise. I know there are a ton of people out there though who don't give blood and don't have the (feeble, granted) excuse of having a phobia of needles.

There are, of course, a ton of restrictions, too, on who can or can't give blood, and those restrictions are something that you need to check before donating. But if you're able to, then please, this February - whether it's your first time or you're a regular donator - bleed for women in horror!

Check out this fantastic PSA by the Soska Sisters.

Blood Drive PSA - Women In Horror Month from Twisted Twins Productions on Vimeo.


For more information on how to give blood in the UK, visit www.blood.co.uk.

2 comments:

La Morte Vivante said...

Perhaps I'll give it a go too! I have tried to give blood before (several years ago) and I feel I should. My blood group is very rare, and my similarly-blooded mother has badges and awards for all the pints she's given over the past twenty-odd years. I managed to donate the proper amount, but passed out both times - once on the way home, and once in the chair! :(

ToxicDeath said...

Have to agree that giving blood is one of the greatest things you can do, I gave again today and give every 12 weeks as I am allowed to. I gave today and it was my 26th donation, I would ask everybody to give it a go.

The reason I feel so strongly is that my Mum received over 40 transfusions during her illness. Our family have matched what she got and trying to make sure we give when we can.